Journey to Wellness
They say that “The eyes are the window to the soul”. Well, they also may be the window to our overall health. For the next month, I’m going to be focusing on all things eyes and how they relate to your overall health, and what you can do to keep your eyes health.
Here’s why I think they eyes play such an important role in telling us about our overall health:
DID YOU KNOW… that they eye is the only place in the body where we can actually VISUALIZE our blood vessels? This gives us so much information as to what is going on in the rest of the body, because some of the tiniest blood vessels are located in the eyes.
- If those blood vessels in the retina appear tortuous (or “squiggly”), or if they start to constrict in areas, that can be a sign of malignant or chronic high blood pressure.
- If you see tiny hemorrhages in the retina, that can be a sign of diabetes
- If your vision fluctuates significantly over time (over a few months) that may be a sign of high blood sugar related to diabetes
- If your macula shows changes in pigment, indicating signs of macular degeneration, that may be a sign of a nutritional deficit
- If you have a uveitis inflammation, that may be a sign of systemic autoimmune disease which is inflammatory, such as rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, or others
- If your optic nerve is swollen, that may be an indication of a neurological disorder such as multiple sclerosis
- If you see spots in your vision lasting 10 – 20 minutes, that may be a sign of the start of a migraine
- If you see a white or gray ring around the outside of your iris (the colored part) that may be a sign of chronic high cholesterol
- If you have dry eyes, it could be due to environmental issues, systemic diseases, nutrition and hydration, or device usage habits.
The list goes on and on…
So this month I would like to explore many of these topic, which stem from the questions that I am most commonly asked by patients. PLEASE JOIN ME, and share these posts with your friends and family, and start establishing a healthy mindset for a healthy life! Personally, my own family could use a bit of a makeover in our eating and physical activity habits. As life gets busier, we too have fallen into the rut of “just getting by”… we get dinner made, but often decide at the last minute, and make choices that are not as nutritious as they could be.
With 2 small kids, we don’t eat mindfully, and often by the time we get them to bed we are wiped out ourselves, and we don’t take time to exercise. I start my morning with more coffee than water, and during these past dreary winter months, I’ve added a cup to my early afternoon just to make it through the day! So we are MAKING A CHANGE! Join me as we venture along together!
Join us Tuesday, April 9th from 11 am -7 pm for a Day of Wellness & Dry Eye Information, sample Beautycounter products, see live demos of treatments and hear from Dr. Jenn! Raffles all day as well as discounts on all product purchases.