Certain chemicals in the skincare and cosmetics used around the eyes can cause irritation and damage. Dr. DenHartog can help determine which of your products need a clean swap.
Ocular Surface Beauty Blunders
The following common beauty trends can cause irritation and damage to the eyelid and tear glands.
- Waterproof make up - harsh chemicals that keep the make up on are also difficult to remove
- Eyelash Growth Serums - one of the common chemicals found in these may cause changes in the tissues in and around the eye that lead to altered pigmentation and drier eyes
- Eyelid Tattooing - the dyes used and the actual tattooing process may damage the underlying Meibomian glands
- Tightlining (applying eyeliner between the lashes and the inner lid) - many eyeliners contain coal black, which often contains tar. Applying to the waterline, where the Meibomian glands secrete oils, may introduce bacteria and cause blockage
- Retinols around the eye area - Retinol derivatives have been shown to cause damage over time to the Meibomian glands.
- Botox for Crow's Feet - Botox paralyzes the muscles around the outer eye, and weakens the blink, which may result in an incomplete closure.
Many harmful ingredients are hiding in the products you use every day! The FDA does not regulate what is used in our personal care products or the language that is used to market products. Dr. DenHartog is knowledgeable about what ingredients are most harmful and cause the most irritation, and can assist you in switching to safer products less likely to cause Dry Eye Disease.
Some of the most common and harmful ingredients are:
- Formaldehyde Releasers
- Artifical Fragrances
- Carbon Black
- Titanium Dioxide
- Benzalkonium Chloride
There are cleaner, healthier alternatives available for your skin care and make up products. Dr. DenHartog is proud to work with Beautycounter, a B corporation dedicated to getting safer products into the hands of everyone. Beautycounter has a list of over 1,500 chemicals you will never find in their products. Best of all, the products perform well!